Sri Panchamukha Hanuman is one of the most important upasana deity of our Guru lineage.Inspite of rapid strides in technology, there is a growing insecurity for the average human being, both at emotional and physical levels. Sri Panchamukha Anjaneya Swami promises this security to all devotees.
The Dhyana sloka of Sri Panchamukha Hanuman is
“Panchasyachutamaneka vichitra veeryam
Sri shanka chakra ramaniya bhujagra desam
Peethambaram makara kundala noopurangam
Dhyayethitam kapivaram hruthi bhvayami”
The face towards the East is Sri Hanuman in its original form. This face removes all blemishes of sin and confers purity of mind (chitta Suddhi).
- Sri Karala Ugravira Narasimha Swami, facing the South, removes fear of enemies and confers victory.
- The face facing the west is that of Lord Sri Mahavira Garuda and this face drives away evil spells, black magic influences etc., and removes all poisonous effects in one’s body.
- Sri Lakshmi Varaha murthi facing the North wards off the troubles caused by bad influences of the planets and confers all prosperity-Ashta Aishwarya.
- The Urdhva Mukha Facing upwards of Sri Hayagriva Swami confers knowledge, victory, good wife and progeny.
We have been performing various pujas and Homams to Sri Panchamukha Hanuman. Some of them are provided below:
1) Sri Panchamukha Hanuman Moola Mantra Sahasranama Archana
Sri panchamukha Hanuman Sahasranama archana(1000 divine names of Lord Hanuman) and Moola Mantra Yantra Deepa archana is done for Sri Panchamukha Hanuman Murthi along with his Yantra.
On the Panchamukha Hanuman Yantra, seven lamps are lighted, six facing the Anjaneya Swami and one at the center facing the person doing the pooja, which takes our Prarthana(prayers). Chanting of Sri Hanuman chalisa and other mantras on Sri Hanuman is done by devotees.
2) Hanuman Jayanthi
Hanuman Jayanthi falls on the Moola Nakshatra during Dec-Jan every year. This is considered as the birth star of Lord Hanuman. Moola Mantra Yantra Deepa sahita Laksharchana (Hundred recitals of the Hanuman Sahasranamam) is done to the Utsava Murthi of Sri Panchamukha Hanuman. Vada mala (Garland of Vadas) is offered. This Murthi was the Upasana Murthi of H.H Venkatesa Battachar Swamigal and he had performed Laksharchana(Multiple chants of the Hanuman Sahasranama) for a few decades continuously. The sahasranama archana or Laksharchana is followed by Maha Naivedyam and deeparadhana. Various slokas such as Sri Hanuman chalisa, Hanuman Gayathri and hanuman mantras are chanted by devotees and priests during this occassion.
3) Sri Panchamukha Hanuman Moola Mantra Homam
Sri Panchamukha Hanuman moola mantra homam is performed by chanting the moola mantra for each of the faces of Sri Hanuman and making oblations into the sacred agni. The panchamukha hanuman gayathri is also chanted.